There's No Such Thing As An Expert

Apparently, there are people in the world who consider themselves to be experts on parenting.  That makes me chuckle a little bit and shake my head, too, because I don't think you can be an expert on parenting. I think you can parent.  I think you can successfully raise children from infancy to adulthood, but I don't think that makes you an expert.  I think that makes you a survivor. HA!

I'm not an expert on parenting. I am a parent.  And I have successfully raised two sons from their infancy to adulthood.   I've survived the terrible twos and potty training, bad grades and bullies, teenage attitudes, driving, dating, drinking, and broken hearts (and not necessarily in that order).

And if that's not enough, my husband and I decided we'd start ALL OVER again and recently adopted twin girls. Yep, we're starting all over  . . . in our 50's!

These are my awesome kids! (My sons, daughters and daughter-in-law)

I have raised one set of kids and now I am raising another one. So perhaps it is possible that through much trial and error (mostly error) I have picked up a thing or two about parenting.  A guideline of sorts on what to do and what not to do along the way.

I'll share all my pearls of wisdom (aka things I royally screwed up and hope to save you from screwing up as well!) I'll share some funny stories, some not so funny stories, and I will do my very best to answer your questions.

So feel free to leave a question or two, and then check back frequently.  You never know when one of your questions will become the question of the day.

And just to get things rolling, I'm going to answer a question that has a super easy answer.

The question is from my good friend, Becky, (Mom of two grown sons) who asks:
"When does it END!? And, of course, I know the answer is not until the Lord takes one of us home."
I asked a similar question once from a man whom I greatly respected.  I asked, "Why is it so hard much harder to parent my adult kids than it was when they were children?" He said, "Because you aren't supposed to parent them.  You move from parent to trusted advisor . . . if you're lucky.  And if not, then you move from parent to observer.  Anything else will push further and further away and you'll move from parent to stranger to estranged."  That was brilliant advice.  Advice I have heeded (hopefully well, but you'd have to ask my sons how I'm doing!)

Apparently, it does end . . . unless of course you start over! ThatCarolJones


6 comments:

  1. That quote is incredible. Pinterest worthy. Wall hanging worthy. Definitely blogable. Apparently, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently this will be my favorite blog. I think this message might have been for me at the very least some awesome advice.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Mom. You're funny. And I'm glad you thought it was awesome advice. :)

      Delete
  3. Great answer, Carol, and I think (hope) my grown kids would testify that we do that most of the time. The pain often involved in parenting, though, does not end even when we are fortunate enough to move into that advisory role. You agree, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. You never stop being their mother or father.

      Delete